blank   Click to listen highlighted text! blank

How to Be Productive

Posted on :  June 3rd, 2015  |  By :  towardsrecovery

There are plenty of ideas about productivity, but Franz Kafka seems to say it all: Productivity is being able to do things that you were never able to do before. This idea is never more true than for people who are managing their lives while overcoming addictions. Learning to live life without addictive substances is like doing things you were never able to do before. Productivity is a key to success. Here are some tips to be successfully productive:

Being busy is not being productive: Those who are busy tend to be overwhelmed, so they do not get much done. It can be tricky to identify a productive person, because they are not overwhelmed with busyness.

Important is greater than urgent. Many people are distracted from what they really need to do with what they think they have to do. If something comes up at the last minute, you do not always need to get it done. Your priorities are usually more important than anything that is extremely urgent. Weigh the urgency and whether getting it done is worth giving up getting something else done. There are only 24 hours in the day.

Time management is controlled by you. Time goes very fast. When you choose to waste it, you are making that choice. Be aware of what you are doing and make sure that it is a useful and productive. And yes, even relaxing can be productive!

Your priorities can be managed by the 80/20 rule. This rule involves the idea that 20 percent of our activities include 80 percent of important tasks. If you can stay on top of the most important things, your productivity levels will rise. You will feel like you have accomplished more by the time you go to sleep which will make you feel less stress. When you know the 20 percent, then you are less likely to waste your time on the other 80 percent of useless things.

Get a planner. Many of the most productive people have taken courses on using day planners. When you learn how to incorporate a day planner into your life, you will be able to better manage your day. You will learn to organize your life and make a habit out of filling in and checking your planner. You then take charge of time rather than letting it take charge of your day.

Manage your time like you manage your money. When you properly manage your money, you designate some of it to bills, to savings, and to discretionary funds. You can do the same with your time. Some of your time needs to be dedicated to obligations, like work. Some of it can be given to free time and that is the time that you need to manage because it is easy to waste that extra, discretionary time.

Make and use lists. People who are productive use their planners and they also use lists. When you are just starting out being aware of your productivity, the list should be a short one and should include what you would like to do on that day. As you get better control of your time, you can increase the tasks. Remember, that you do need occasional relaxation so that you do not get overwhelmed.

Work with your list. To make your list and planner more manageable, you can color-code or label the activities. Highlight the must-do activities in green. The activities that are not top priorities can be labeled in yellow. The other activities that can be done at any time should get a red highlight. If you can break up the big tasks into smaller tasks, you will notice the big tasks get done faster.

If you have any questions about addiction and becoming a productive citizen, do not hesitate to contact us at Towards Recovery Clinics at 905-527-2042.

Who We Serve ?

  • Individuals using/abusing street narcotics (e.g. heroin).
  • Patients abusing prescription narcotics(i.e., Codeine, Talwin, Percocet/Percodan, Dilaudid, Morphine or Demerol, et cetera).
  • Individuals displaying any of the following behaviours: Compulsive drug use or drug seeking/craving.
Click to listen highlighted text!